Sunday, January 4, 2015

Howdy!!


Dear Family and Friends,                                                                                          Nov. 24, 2014

What a spectacular week I have been blessed with. I have really enjoyed myself this week- it was full of exchanges, family home evenings, special interviews, my first stake conference and of course, going to the beach!!!! woot! 

Unfortunately, Ghanaians do not celebrate Thanksgiving (Liberians do celebrate thanksgiving) so i am not sure what will happen as far as our traditional feasting and turkey bowl, but rest assured that we will definitely be giving thanks for our many blessings this Thursday. I was given multiple experiences this week which have caused me serious gratitude for my wonderful life. I would like to share one.

Our baptismal candidate for this weekend has a wonderful family. Just last weekend they were able to certify the marriage by traveling to visit her parents and accomplish what we call here as "knocking". still not sure what it really means. Anyways, the man she married is a strong member of the church and since dating him, has had a strong desire to also become a member of the church. I have been privileged to prepare her for baptism! She is so receptive to the spirit as we teach and has helped me learn what it means to truly learn by the spirit. This Saturday will be her baptism. Pray everything goes smoothly! 

We were visiting the family this Saturday afternoon and I was deeply moved and became profoundly grateful for all my many blessings as I watched them interact. Brother P, her new husband, is a carpenter by trade (he makes tables, doors, desks, cabinets etc...) so work comes and also sometimes goes unpredictably. I was surprised to meet sister C. cooking so late (it was around 6) on a Saturday. Usually ghanaians eat midday on a weekend after the chores are done and everyone is hungry. Brother P. was obviously famished after a long day of work. We later came to determine that the money to buy the food was not there until P came home from work. One of the younger children was whining and eventually crying by himself in the outskirts of the yard. the other children were annoyed saying that they had just eaten a snack around 3 o'clock and he shouldn't be hungry. Dont get me wrong, this family does not starve and they all went to bed with full stomachs of banku and fish, but they do live a completely different lifestyle than any of us.

 This family lives in a small house, two rooms and no kitchen, no bathroom, made from handmixed bricks and a zinc roof. There are 5 children under the age of 12, all of which are very very kind and respectful, very humble children. I am not sure if i have met more humble children! They all go to school, they all eat three times a day, they have likely one nice pair of clothes to wear to church and other special occasions, and they are happy! I am not sure if I know of any people who are generally happier! And yet here on this Saturday afternoon, money to buy food for one meal was not there. I was imagining the husband going to work with an empty stomach in sacrifice for his children to have something to eat that morning, in preparation for a long day of work, knowing that if anything went wrong that day, he and his children might not be able to provide food for themselves. I imagined sister C patiently and also hungrily waiting at home in prayer that the man will come home soon with money for her to prepare food for the children that she knows will be hungry very soon. I imagined her giving the children the last of the food in the house with the faith that the Lord would provide. And yet, through it all, could there not be a happier people!? 

I dont imagine this family lives like this every day. I suspect that the trip to visit the wife's parents the weekend earlier plus the gifts he was forced to bring for the in-laws must have used up any reserve fund the family had. But the lesson i learned and the feelings i felt in admiration of this family will always be in my heart. I pondered about my own family that night, where each of them was and what they were doing. I even wondered if we are as happy and grateful and faithful as this family was that night. Did the sincerity of my prayers match those of brother P's that night as he thanked the Lord for his daily bread? Did my love for my family match that of sister C's as she continued to sustain her husband despite the hard times?  Was my humility to the Lord equal to this family's as I pondered my own circumstances, far more comfortable and luxurious than theirs? I might have been sitting at home that Saturday evening complaining that the popcorn had too much butter than my preference as i watched a movie off my high-speed-internet connection netflix account. Yet, rather I was blessed to be surrounded by this family here in Ghana spreading the gospel. I am so blessed! 

If this lesson wasn't profound enough, after viewing all of this, before we left this family brother P had sent one of the children to buy a soft drink for my companion and I. I dont even drink soft drink often, but this day it must have been harder than i can ever remember. If i had to guess, although the money came late to this family for their supper, it seems as though dad had done well that day at work and received a generous pay for the day's labor. He decided to spend his surplus by treating the missionaries to a bottle of soft drink. I hope i am not the only one deeply touched by his sincere and heartfelt kindness to two servants of the Lord. I prayed and pleaded with the Lord to continue to flood his blessings upon this wonderful family that night. I cannot think of a greater example of a family who is rich in happiness and yet very very poor in the world's regard and standard of happiness.

At this special time of year, I cherish my ability to have so many blessings in my life to be thankful for. I believe if there is one lesson the Lord has continually and i am confident WILL continually teach me in my life, it is the marvelous and incomprehensible blessing of my Eternal Family. I know that my family knows how much i love them, and I pray that we all can reflect on the greatness of our own individual families this time of year for truly, they are the greatest blessing we will ever receive from the Lord. 

I also had a special experience this weekend. I attended my first STAKE conference! what a treat! and some of the missionaries in this stake gathered and learned a hymn in twi, How Great Thou Art, which we sang Saturday afternoon. It was a hit. We plan on learning one or two more twi songs we can sing as we go caroling these next few weeks. I thoroughly enjoyed the conference and gathering with so many wonderful saints. There is true spiritual power that comes from gathering the saints together. We had a general broadcast for West Africa from Elder Bednar, Elder Gay, President Utchdorf and the general 1st counselor to the primary presidency. It was a neat experience, one similar to what the saints in the early days must have felt when the Apostle Paul or Peter wrote to them in Ephesius or Galatia. What a marvelous work and wonder it is to have such technology to hear from them all the way out here in ghana. SO wonderful!!!! 

I received an unexpected phone call from President Saturday evening informing me that I will be transferred. SHOOT! i wasn't expecting to leave after only spending roughly 4 weeks in this area. He explained that he has a specific assignment for me in my new home, it is called Kaneshie. Should be pretty sweet! i am sad to leave, as always, but ready to go where the Lord calls. Wednesday i will leave for the new place. Dont know any deets except my companion is ugandian. Cant spell his name though... haha never met him either. Exciting!

Another interesting note. Thursday it seems as though the phone slipped out of my pocket while riding in a taxi. We were pretty discouraged until I remembered that I had contacted and collected the taxi driver's phone number! unfortunately, he wasnt able to find the phone in the car... so we have been phone less for some time now... kinda a bummer! we should get a new one this week. 

Last sweet news! The beach is not too incredibly far from us, so today we were able to make a trip to see the Ghanaian beach! woot! man, it was a blast to see the ocean again. Not quite like the beaches of Liberia, although very similar. The sand and waves are just like Galveston. I wont lie, i felt a bit of yearnings to go to Destin while we sat on the sand and just relaxed. It was incredibly tempting to get in and go for a little swim, but i managed to resist. too easy! haha The only problem is that my feet and ankles are fairly sunburnt. My legs are used to seeing sun every now and again, but i am afraid i cant even remember the last time my feet were exposed to some UV rays... haha 

I suppose if all the interesting and wonderful events that happened this week were recorded, even the internet itself could not contain it all... haha just kidding. But i think that is all i will share for this week. I love my missionary experience, and I do not think i could be blessed with a greater place with greater people to serve. Truly, this is the most WONDERFUL time of the year!!! have a most excellent week! love, 

Elder Fairwell

No comments:

Post a Comment