Dear friends and fam,
I always find joy in recapping my week here in the internet
cafe. Its fun to rehearse the wonderful parts of my week and ponder on all the
important events occurring in my life. I cant help but realize most monday's
that the previous week was indeed better than i perhaps thought! I think that
happens when I focus on the good rather than the negative. Its fun!
Wednesday was a brilliant day to celebrate my entrance into
the world of "mid-twenties" as i turned 21. We had a miraculous day
as we found transportation and arrived safely at our zone conference just in
time to take our zone picture with Elder Curtis (the local area president) who
was doing a mission tour for us. I loved hearing from all the wonderful
speakers that day, all of which spoke wonderfully and inspirationally to
strengthen our faith in the Lord and our call to build His kingdom here in
Ghana. I walked away with a deeper gratitude of the experiences I have had as a
missionary which have strengthened my faith and helped me press forward. I felt
I learned how to apply principles of gratitude to fuel my desire to serve more
devoted now and in whatever calls i may have in the future from our master.
In case you were wondering, every christmas there is a
"christmas miracle", but if youre a missionary, there is something
special called a "birthday miracle". Mine this year came from sister
curtis. For the very first time in 22 months, I enjoyed a HOMEADE CHOCOLATE
CHIP COOKIE!!!!! yep, she wanted to do something nice for us. I just looked at
my companion and told him my mother must have really prayed hard for this
present to make it to me. Indeed, it was the greatest present i could have
received!
Guess Ghana Post also enjoys my mail, havent gotten your
letters yet mom.
Another topic, our investigator "R", whom we once
contacted in the middle of the night in the ghetto whom i deemed completely
unserious, has made progress by leaps and bounds! This Sunday was his third
sunday in a row to attend! Because of his security job schedule, he hasnt been
available this week, but we were able to leave reading materials for him and he
read and answered with so many questions! i was so impressed with his interest!
his wife and children have agreed to learn with us this week, we may end up
baptizing the entire family! im so excited! Anyways, the greatest news is that
we met with him thursday briefly and he confessed to having a Word of Wisdon problem, he
smokes 3 sticks of weed a day... but since he started meeting with us, he has
cut it down to 1. We challenged him to completely stop by this coming thursday.
Yesterday he told us since that meeting he hasnt touched a stick! WHAT!? Man,
we area so excited and happy to be helping people not only change their church,
but indeed change their lives. thats what the restored gospel does!
Another investigator who was also somehow
"unserious" has made wonderful progress this week. He is now keeping
the law of chastity, but struggling with the WOW... Sunday morning we
stopped by his place to remind him of church. He was obviously just finished
with smoking some weed, it was as if we came when he wasnt even finished
actually! haha and he promised he was right behind us and would be there in
just a little bit. we didnt believe him one bit, but to our surprise he walked
into sacrament meeting only 45 min late! haha i was astounded actually. To our
amusement, he was just a little bit still "lit up". So we kept a good
eye on him, and enjoyed his random comments and constant calling us "white
man, your skin is turning pink" in twi... i know im not describing this
very well, but still. our investigator came to church high. i think he is still
progressing, right? haha
Our friends Joe and Belinda were both baptized this weekend!
it was a beautiful service on saturday morning. I was grateful for their faith
to commit and finally join the church after their months of investigation. they
are most definitely some of my strongest baptisms!
Elder Bond and I are really working hard here guys. I am
enjoying the "war chapters" of the book of mormon currently and have
found a great admiration of those war heros. We have termed the phrase,
"what would Teancum do" when things get tough. In case you arent
familiar, Teancum is a totally stud and war hero. He is a man of no excuses, no
slacking, no whining, just getting the job no matter how impossible it may be.
I love him because he represents those of us who are given impossible assignments
and he accomplishes them. SO what would Teancum do at 10 am? he would get out
under that hot sun and go BAPTIZE his brothers and sisters in the only true and
living church upon the earth! and so thats what ill do too. #WWTD
Well, life sure is full of good things isnt it? Nothing can
compare with the blessings and growth that i've experienced from serving as a
full time missionary. if youre debating serving, in the words of president
kimball, just DO IT. Love you all, have a most excellent week, be excellent to
eachother! love,
Elder Fairwell
No comments:
Post a Comment