Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Lords arm is not hidden


Howdy Folks!
This week was so DOPE. haha My companion and I have been feeling an urgency to redouble our efforts in our proselyting and this week we did. We termed this week our "Four minute mile week" because we were setting out to set some mission records. It happened, and in fact, the Lord exceeded our expectations far beyond what we could have hoped. I've never been so wasted and tired, but so happy with whats been happening. The Lord truly has opened the way for my companion and I.
First, Im so excited for two future Melchizedeck Priesthood holders who will be baptized this weekend. One is probably my best buddies out here, a 28 year old single guy who would be labeled as a "bush pikin" because he never went to school and cant read or write well. He is an auto mechanic but is currently not working but living with a member around his same age. He voluntarily helps this member build his house each day and they became good friends. To give you an idea, when elder lamont and I started teaching him, he didnt know how to pray at all and felt so embarrassed that he wasnt educated in religion at all. He was so eager and anxious to learn and equally eager to give up any activity that wasnt in harmony with our teachings. I was so happy to see him in church last sunday in a white shirt that I was able to give him in a tie that im pretty sure was donated by my dad. It was the first time he had ever worn a tie, and although we gave him a hard time for it, he looked so good in a white shirt and tie and blue jeans. Im so excited for his baptism!
My heart almost lept from my chest Sunday afternoon when a less active brother got off a motorbike in front of the chapel and walked into the building. He was the most enthusiastic branch missionary and helpful member 9 months ago when I served in Brewerville Branch the first time. He has fallen inactive since then. Ever since I came back to this branch I have been exerting all my prayers and efforts possible to help reactivate him. Two weeks ago, we went to his house to carry him to church as he had promised to come (he had promised us 12 consecutive times before without success). He told us he had a cold and would come "Next week, I promise". We bore our testimonies to him with all the energy we could muster, and essentially dropped him by telling him that if he was not going to keep his commitments, then the Lord would have us missionaries go after those that were willing to follow Him. Unfortunately, when the promised Sunday came, he was not in church. I felt so bad to have to see him loose so many promised blessings as he was one of my personal friends (he is around the same age as us). Although, how sweet was my joy to see him in church one week late! I dont think I have ever been so excited to see someone simply come to church. :)
Another personal friend brightened my day named La. by coming to church for the first time in months. He has been preparing for baptism since I was in Brewerville the first time, but every time a date gets near, satan seems to find a weakness in his armour. In April, we had to give him to different elders because he had moved homes and now was not in our area. He had moved because he would not back down in his beliefs of the true church when his family persecuted him harshly for not attending the "family church". We were sad to give him away, but knew that if he wanted, all would be well. Unfortunately, every time we followed up with these elders, we discovered no progress had been made and that he was coming to be dropped (we call it "postponing blessings" in our zone). Yesterday,  saw him coming out of the Banjor Branch and couldnt have been happier! When I asked what made him come, he said he had simply made up his mind the day before to come to church, no invitation or prompting from the missionaries or anything. Its a miracle!
The Lord also provided the way for us to teach another family we have been striving to focus on, but every time we make an appointment, the wife or son seems to bounce us. Only the husband is able to sit down with us. This week, we went to see the husband and by happenstance, the rest of the family was there too! They began their investigation of the church a few weeks ago with very very negative views of the church. Now their concerns have been resolved and their interest has been peaked, they want to know more. Despite their love for their current church, they have finally given us chance to help them feel the spirit lead them to this, the Lord's church.
Sorry for the lack of details, but time is limited :) The Lord has simply been opening the way for us in every phase of the work! His arm is not hidden!
love, Elder Fairwell

No comments:

Post a Comment