Hello Fairwell Family and
Friends (see what i did there... hello/ farewell...)
Im happy to be alive today, its
been a bit of a long week. I almost died... twice. That is died mentally.
(physically I come close to death almost daily come to think of it) My
companions sickness I mentioned last week turns out wasnt just a little virus
but in fact some sort of infection resulting in us being down for the count
most of this proselyting week. We spent a lot of the time inside, He resting
and myself trying to stay busy. Im not going to lie, studying for such long
hours in the stinkin hot apartment is kinda miserable but being sick is even
worse. Im so grateful my companion is doing better today after a bunch of
antibiotics and medicine :) I am so excited to be back into the field this
coming week!:) never have I been so excited to just get outside! haha
The sweetest part of this week
was L's baptism (sorry sister kirkham, sitting in the liberian ghetto
doctors office for 6 hours was fun but not THIS fun), the girl I mentioned last
week who is in a wheelchair. The entire event from start to finish was a miracle!
First, my companion had strength to get up and actually GO to the baptism and
then upon arriving, strength to perform the baptism according to L's
wishes. Then, we were able to find a cab driver kind enough to put L's
wheelchair in the trunk and drive us to the chapel on a busy Satuday morning.
L. also trusted us enough to carry her into a pool of water, the first time
that she had EVER entered water. and then actually submerse her (3 times cause
the first two she wasnt all the way under). The entire baptism was so spirit
filled for us because we were able to see her smile and happiness the entire
time. Its hard to put into words :) She was so happy and excited, which just
made us as missionaries so happy as well :)
I will also mention that Monday
we PERSONALLY made one of my favorite Liberian dishes called "Potato
Greens". It is made from the leaves from potato plants (i assume).
Essentially, you slice up these leaves into very thin slices and then steam
them up with meat and a bunch of spices (like salt, pepae and chicken stock)
and then pour it over rice. Pretty simple, just like all liberian food :) I
really enjoyed it, and was pretty proud of cooking it myself. I'd
love to make it for ya'll back at home but im not sure I can find potato leaf?
There is also a great soup
called "ground pea soup" (ground pea is Liberian for peanuts). basically
its a handmade peanut butter stew. meats, onions, pepae, and you boil it all up
and pour it over rice. Yep, that is one of my favorites as well. Basically all
of the food is like that. some sort of stew and you pour it over rice. :) Im
excited to come home and make em all for you. You'll be impressed at how
wonderful rice can taste! Especially with chicken feet sticking out of it!
which reminds me, I have really come to enjoy eating chicken feet and bones, at
first i was managing but now i literally crave them. Come to think of it, I
cant wait to go to KFC and show you how to eat chicken bones. too easy. :)
Mom, you asked why we went to a
real restaurant and what the occasion was. Well, the occasion was that all the
missionaries rave how amazing it is and I was reluctant to go try it. I mean
come on, its just food. I dont want to spend 15 bucks for ONE meal when that
money could last me for 20 meals if i want it to. Seriously, can you say
wasteful!? anyways, elder conners finally convinced me (because his
father sent him a christmas present with 30 bucks to take him and his
companion out to eat... I had no choice practically...) and what can i say...
sure, the food was amazing but the EXPERIENCE was once in a lifetime! I mean,
for nine months I haven't entered an air conditioned, fully furbished room with
a hostess seating me at a table. This was luxury beyond what I had experienced
for some time! Anyways, after drooling on the menu for a few minutes, i
ORDERED my food and had it BROUGHT to me on a CLEAN plate with UTENSILS wrapped
in NAPKINS!!!!! what can i say except I was a bit in shock. I think we said a
fairly long prayer of gratitude before we chomped down... and btw, we
ordered bottled water and poured it into the glass, mom. thats how we knew it
was safe :) anyway, this was a bit crazy cause we're used to eating outside,
eating rice with nothing but our hands and all eating from the same bowl...
needless to say, i think we will go back there sometime soon :)
well, time is out! Love you all
and thank you for your continued prayers on my behalf :)
love,
No comments:
Post a Comment