Dear
Family and Friends,
Oh,
what a wonderful week! Let me start with last week Monday. Our district wanted
to have a celebration to send off Elder Davuke, who completed his mission this
week, by having a pig roast. One of the members here raises pigs on his farm
and was kind enough to sell us one. We came over Monday afternoon and had a
wonderful bonfire/ pig roast. Since it was held out in the bush away from water/
electricity/ normal conveniences, things were a bit archaic… we ended up
plating the pig on some banana leaves and eating / tearing meat off the roasted
carcass with our hands. No plates, no utensils (other than the butcher knife),
just a bunch of young guys enjoying some meat! It was a blast in the end I have
to admit. The pig was so sweet! And the fact that just 3 hours earlier it was
living made the taste that much sweeter. I’d have to say the only downside to
the whole event was Tuesday and Wednesday trips to the toilet… My bowels
haven’t had pork for so long, and then to have a FEAST of meat, all gave my
bowels a hard time. None the less, it was an adventure to remember!
My
companion and I were privileged to travel to Kade to go on an exchange there
which was also very fun! It is a nearby city about 1.5 hours away. We just jump
on a chro chro (basically Ghanaian version of a metro bus) and after knocking
heads on the roof of the car and with the person next to you because of the
extremely bumpy roads, you’re there! Too easy. I went with Elder Weah, who is
from New Kru Town, Liberia! It was pretty exciting to be able to remenice about
the culture and things of Liberia that we both miss. I actually served in his
home branch, and I even know his family. I cant quite remember their faces,
because “weah” is a very very common Liberian name. There were 3 or 4 different
Weah families in NKT branch, I haven’t yet distinguished which one was his and
because he had no family photos, their faces still have escaped my mind. even still, that was a fairly fun exchange and a wonderful blessing!
Unfortunately,
my companion fell ill this week and so we had to take it easy the end of the
week. Wednesday- Saturday he was vomiting and had flu like symptoms, then Saturday
evening once he had finally overcome that illness, he ended up with a nice
cold. He is still struggling to fight off this bug and hopefully midweek he
will be back to 100%. That is our prayer. Thankfully we were able to proselyte
at least for a few hours every day/ go on some exchanges and take turns resting
with my companion. In the time I was in the apartment with him I got a few
letters written and read a fairly large portion of Jesus the Christ.
Saturday
our missionary district had a baptism! 6 candidates that I mentioned last week
from Anum Apapam were baptized as well as our awesome candidate, Seth! He is
the young man I believe I bragged about a few weeks ago. He is such an amazing
example to his sisters and Mother who are also investigating the church. The
baptism went wonderful! It was very well attended by branch members which helps
the candidates feel more welcomed. It can be frustrating when a baptism is only
attended by missionaries and then people feel unwanted/ unneeded, thus having the
room packed with members was quite exciting for us. You will also be interested
to know that the baptismal font we cleaned so well a few weeks ago was shining
brightly! Although I was sourly disappointed when the water was still green
because the tap water is so dirty… oh well. We continue to try and get that
baptism water clear!
We
had such an awesome experience with Seth’s sister this Friday while teaching
her more about the Book of Mormon. She is a teenager, 17yrs old I believe. She
is very passionate about her church and has always been reluctant to sit with
us, or rather I should say she always hides her face when we come and forces us
to beg her to learn with us. We have only taught her the restoration. During
our visit we read some passages from the BOM and then simply asked her if she
believed they were written by prophets called of God. She told us that she
believed true, to which I promised her that if she prayed right now, God would
also confirm to her that it was the very word of God. We got down on our knees
right then and there and she prayed to ask God if the BOM is true. After she
prayed, we sat there for a few minutes on our knees while she waited for her
response. Ironically enough, the power dramatically went out and we wereleft
sitting there in the dark, but the powers of heaven were no doubt switched on.
The spirit in the room was gentle, but obviously there. As we got off our
knees, I asked her if she had felt her answer. She expressed that indeed she
had and that she knew it was true. I then asked her what it meant to her if the
BOM was true. Her tone of voice was almost annoyed as she explained that she
now knew that indeed The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was of
God, and that she needed to come and be baptized. Of course she wasn’t annoyed,
but she now knew that all we had been asking her to do was to come learn for
herself! She didn’t quite accept a baptismal date, she decided that was just a
little too much revelation in one day, but she agreed to pray about it. Ah, it was
such a sweet experience!
I
love the opportunity I have to help people learn of these truths that will
bless their lives. I love that it’s not me doing the work, but I get to simply
sit back and watch the Lord work mighty miracles before my eyes. I bring the
message, and He confirms the message I share. I love being a missionary!
Well,
in other news, Elder Legg and I will be staying together this next transfer.
It will be an 8 week transfer because this one was only 4 weeks. We are getting
along wonderfully and have really been helping each other grow in many faucets
of our lives. It’s a privilege to work alongside him. We’re excited for what
will happen these next few weeks! Btw, Im also excited because Elder Tolar
(from Liberia mission) is coming to my district, not my apartment but to the
apartment just a few minutes away. He will be my zone leader. Out of the 3 of
us that were sent here, we get to serve in the same city! Sweet! Also, I heard
that the Berretts were re-assigned to the Accra West mission so maybe in the
future I will get to see them now and again! WOOT!! :) I Love the Berretts!!
Too cool :) Oh one last piece of transfer news… two new missionaries will be
coming to my district this week. We don’t know who they are or where they are from,
but one will be in my apartment and one in the ZL’s apartment. Too easy! We’re
excited!
Well,
we look forward to this upcoming week. Should be a good one :) Take it easy at
home and be sure to open your mouth when the chances arise. It so wonderful to
share this gospel with others. Till next week!
Love,
Elder Fairwell
No comments:
Post a Comment