Hey ya'll, sorry for not
emailing last week. the power went out after a few minutes of emailing. kinda a
bummer. anyways, im glad to get to email today! :)
Life is good! Just recieved transfer news yesterday, Elder Legg and I (my new companion from two weeks ago) will stay together in Asamankese. The branch is very nice, it functions just like a ward if you ask me, a huge step up from what im used to. Maybe 100+ people in sacrament meeting. there are 4 missionaries in this branch. It helps that our branch president was once a district president and has been here building the church for more than a decade. The only downside about the branch is that most of all the teaching is in twi, which im coming to learn more and more, but i am in no way fluent yet! nor do i expect to be any time soon... Im just managing with simple greetings and the normal day to day interactions. Keep praying that I'll continue learning it!
Life is good! Just recieved transfer news yesterday, Elder Legg and I (my new companion from two weeks ago) will stay together in Asamankese. The branch is very nice, it functions just like a ward if you ask me, a huge step up from what im used to. Maybe 100+ people in sacrament meeting. there are 4 missionaries in this branch. It helps that our branch president was once a district president and has been here building the church for more than a decade. The only downside about the branch is that most of all the teaching is in twi, which im coming to learn more and more, but i am in no way fluent yet! nor do i expect to be any time soon... Im just managing with simple greetings and the normal day to day interactions. Keep praying that I'll continue learning it!
Ghana is nice. I laugh because I remember my first day in ghana when I came to the MTC and being
appalled when seeing people half naked, peeing off the street and riding
motorbikes/ bicycles all over the streets like crazy maniacs. That is normal to
me now! We ride bicycles now btw, that is
fun. my legs and bottom were very sore the first day, but im fine now and enjoy
how quick we can sprint from place to place.
To answer your other q's mom: The weather is about the same,
been very very cool recently which is about to change going into the dry
season, oh well. we have fans, cant complain! i have a flush toilet! the catch
is it is in an outhouse just outside the apartment. nbd unless you have to use it
in the middle of the night and then have to unlock the metal gate ect... I dont
complain, we have a toilet and thats what counts. :) no there are not public
restrooms, there are trees and poo streams though...tmi sorry...
Elder Legg and I have been striving to find those elect in our area to teach, as our teaching pool was somewhat small when we both arrived. We have been setting some unique goals. For example, we have been kneeling every time we pray as a companionship. We have been specifically praying this past week to be led to "husbands and wives" as well as "to recognize the light of Christ in those honest seekers of truth by their SMILES". Every person we pass who is smiling, we contact, no matter what. You might be interested to hear that we stopped and met more members that we didnt know than actually make new contacts. Apparently, those who have the gift of the holy ghost smile a lot! And not that many Ghanaian smile while walking down the street. Although we did meet some wonderful new investigators, we didnt find overwhelming results. We will continue to try and use this technique, but not focusing on it this week. Rather, this week we are praying to meet "young families who are looking for the gospel to help them lead their children in the right way."
We have been so blessed to see the Lord answer our prayers this week! He has blessed us with a new husband and wife to teach. We met them by taking a "wrong" turn on our way to meet a less-active member. Upon figuring out that we were going the wrong way, we turned around and my companion said something to the effect of, "I guess the spirit must have led us here." I then grinned knowing the answer to the familiar question i often ask myself, "should we contact them?" as I saw this woman on her front porch sewing something. Of course we should contact them! And as we did, nothing special happened, she didnt speak english well but was happy enough to meet us. This week when we returned at our scheduled return appointment, she was SO AWESOME! I dont think I have ever taught a lesson with an investigator who asked such amazing questions. Im telling you, this woman was so in tune with the spirit. We had a member with us as an interpreter and she understood the Restoration so well. After introducing the BOM (Book of Mormon), she asked the best question an investigator can ask, "So how can I get one of these books so I can read it?". My companion and I were pretty estatic to bring her her copy of a Twi BOM when she showed up at church the next day! And she even brought two of her young children who learned to love primary. Her husband is busy with work but has promised us an appointment this evening. Could life get any better!?
We also have an investigator who has an issue with the Word of Wisdom. As we began teaching him, he wasnt very interested but has totally changed recently! I haven't had the opportunity of teaching many investigators who struggle with WOW, but we have been so proud of this man with his success! We offered him a priesthood blessing this week and promised him angles to surround and uplift him as he overcomes his addictions. He hasn't had a drink of alcohol in two weeks! He was even at church earlier than us on Sunday. I am grateful to be able to work with this man who is learning to see the heartwarming grace and peace that comes from the Saviors Atonement. He has had a hard life full of challenges and seemingly unfair situations, but i am so grateful that what we share can bring him peace and joy once again.
Well, we have sure been having
a lot of fun in addition to our hard work. We have been trying to join families
for FHE (family home evening, on any day of the week) and I have introduced "Ducky Wucky"
to Africa and its a HIT! also duck duck goose and hot and cold have been
enjoyed. Other noteworthy activities include contacting a group of druggies by
the rivers side (by accident, we were a little lost and were following a path
near the river and came across 15 guys getting high off opium and weed.),
visiting a 3rd world hospital and seeing some humbling medical circumstances,
and enjoying a zone activity of soccer, volleyball and basketball. Life is
good!
Thanks for the Love and Support
from all of you. We have a little joke as missionaries that whenever our
missionary nametag is ajar/ falling off, it means that someone is thinking
about you somewhere in the world. I seem to find my tag crooked more often
these days and imagine you at home praying for me at those moments. I thank you
:) I love being a missionary here in this wonderful country and area of the
world where people are so humble and receptive to the spirit. I pray that my
influence will lead them to this wonderful truth of the gospel. Keep on keeping
on, till next week!
love,
Elder Fairwell
No comments:
Post a Comment