Howdy!!
What a great week it has been.
There have been so many many miracles and tender mercies! I can't believe Im
now on the downward slope... I definitely feel like the best is yet to come, I
count and savour each and every day in this blessed vineyard of the Lord. Not
sure I'll be back here for anything else BUT missionary work so I'll enjoy my
time while im here. Recently, it has felt so precious. time is such a great
gift :)
We have been teaching one of
the greatest investigators in all of history. Seriously, he is probably worthy
to be filmed and put in a video to be shown in the mtc. When we first met him,
he overheard us teaching his working partner and heard "the book of
Mormon" and just randomly joined in concerned about this book. Of course
we excitedly invited him to come and learn more and he did! each time we teach
him, he is so extremely excited and enthusiastic to learn! I dont know how to
describe him... when we gave him is own copy of the book of mormon on our next
visit, he literally jumped out of his chair with excitement! He constantly
exclaims, "I believe, I believe!" multiple times throughout our
lessons, especially when we teach something new.
I have never met someone who
had so many concerns with the Book of Mormon and now is so in love with the
book. I enjoyed teaching him the Plan of Salvation this week and was
particularly touched by his passion for the doctrine of Resurrection. Most
africans naturally accept the idea that we will be resurrected, but Michael had
not considered it I guess. I came to realize that to him, separation from this
mortal body was a relief! A relief from hunger which he constantly experiences,
from body aches and pains from the VERY intense and back breaking labor he is
involved in. From malaria and typhoid that so constantly effect the people
here. From headaches and eye problems and itching ant bites and bug bites, to
him getting out of this weak flesh would be a blessing! As we described to him
that we would be resurrected but our bodies would be renewed, perfected and
glorified, free from the mortal restrictions we now find ourselves in, he was
ecstatic! I have never seen him more excited! He just leaned back in his chair
and kept exclaiming "Wow, WOW!". He was also so grateful to our
Heavenly Father in that moment for providing a wonderful plan full of such
tender blessings. and so was I.
Too often, I get accustomed to
this wonderful gospel knowledge which I have been taught all my life. Africans
also seem to so naturally know and understand concepts in the Plan of Salvation
that rarely do I find myself marveling, as our brother Michael did, at this
wonderful truth! How sweet it will be to be immortal and purified! to have
every hair of our head restored! What a blessing! what a sweet knowledge. Lets
go and share it with our brothers and sisters.
Im nervous to hear transfer
news this weekend... Elder Lamont and I are having too much success in our
area, I dont wanna loose the guy! we teach so well together and work so hard.
None the less, all in the Lords hands :) till next week my friends!
-Elder Fairwell
Last October I (Elder Fairwell's mom) had an opportunity to send two boxes to Liberia that were intended to be delivered to him for Christmas. 8 months later...He received them this week!!! Merry Christmas in June! Here is a portion of his response to getting some things from home:
Oh man oh man oh MAN!!!! I was
so flippin shocked to see that HUGE PACKAGE!!! WHAT THE!!! haha i was expecting
two SHOE BOXES!! haha Elder Barret wasnt even able to lift the boxes into his
truck BC of a back problem, he had to break one of them up bc it was too heavy.
I was in awe.
Everything was fresh!
everything is fine! nothing is damaged or missing or anything! haah even the
gum is good! except now that ive opened one pack, it went soft after one day.
My companion and i are sharing it to make good use of it.
We celebrated my one year by making a small coal fire and roasting the melted "mash-mellows" on forks. they tasted the same afer roasting them :) the gram crackers were surprisingly a bit stale, but we toasted them too on the fire and WOW, my mouth was enjoying it even though my stomach was not. haha it was so sweet!
We celebrated my one year by making a small coal fire and roasting the melted "mash-mellows" on forks. they tasted the same afer roasting them :) the gram crackers were surprisingly a bit stale, but we toasted them too on the fire and WOW, my mouth was enjoying it even though my stomach was not. haha it was so sweet!
We also used a can of AMERICAN
CORN the other day. The trail mix was brilliant and so are the protein bars. i
forgot what it felt like to feel satisfied. haha thanks so much!!!!!!!!!
THE FOLDER WAS SO DOPE!!!! the
jokes are so hilarious! thats probalby not a good sign... but we are just dying
over them. one of the highlights is reading a new joke every day. too
easy!!
Letters are also so sweet :) I was concerned
because i couldnt find one from mom, until i finally found it... WoW mom. you
really surpirsed me with the "open when..." letters. Im so excited to
read them! I read the open whenever you want one. I about had a heart attack
when I saw the "open on the day you come home..." seriously, never
dawned on me that day will come. sheesh!
No comments:
Post a Comment